What is Amazon Explore?
Pass through Prague on your lunch break and take a tour through Tokyo before your business meeting at two. Sounds nearly impossible, right? Believe it or not, traveling across the globe in a matter of minutes is not only possible, but it’s been happening just about every day since the launch of Amazon Explore.
Since September of 2020, Amazon’s virtual experience platform is giving the average internet user greater access to far-off places and an opportunity to attend cooking classes, wine tastings, and festivals from their sofa.
What is Amazon Explore?
Pack your suitcase, sunglasses, and a passport, and read on for everything you need to know about this new Amazon marketing offering.
How Does Amazon Explore Work?
Chances are you’ve already been chatting with friends and colleagues around the world for a while now thanks to video calling services like FaceTime, Skype, and Zoom. But what sets the Amazon Explore experience apart from the rest?
Here’s a look at some of the nuanced features unique to this platform.
- It’s tied to an event – No, we’re not talking about a virtual baby shower or birthday celebration. Instead, this online video call consists of an interactive event of your choice—often linked to the tourism or retail industries. Connect with a chef in Buenos Aires for a cooking class and learn about making empanadas or browse through a boutique in Milan. No matter the location, there’s bound to be some sort of expert-led experience on Amazon Explore that’ll pique your interest.
- You don’t have to be on camera – Amazon Explore is a live stream that uses two-way audio calls and one-way video calls. This means that you’ll be able to see the city you’ve chosen to venture through and the guide who’s showing you around, but you yourself won’t need to worry about being live on camera. Whether you’re on the subway or lounging in your living room, just join in on the guided tour to engage with the local expert.
- You can make purchases – If it’s an available option on your host’s platform, it could be tempting to do a bit of shopping for something that’s hard to find in your local neighborhood. You might just need to double-check that your purchases comply with import and export laws and do not exceed $800 per day. Your guide will ship the items in your order directly to you after your Amazon explore session has concluded.
- It’s a unique opportunity for businesses – If you loved your experience as an explorer but are interested in showing off your local expertise, consider registering with Amazon Explore as a host. Become a teacher, guide, or show your guests around the corners of your charming retail shop as a way to boost sales. Just answer a few questions to get started.
Amazon Explore provides a unique opportunity to enjoy a few of the perks of traveling without the added expenses of flights, accommodations, and dining out. So, even if you aren’t able to take off extra vacation time, you can still feel a connection to culture, language, and history on a weekday afternoon or a Saturday night in.
So, how does it work?
- Pick your preferred virtual experience – It may be helpful for you to search by location, category, or based on how much you’re looking to spend. Just use the filters on the sidebar to tailor it according to your preferences.
- Schedule your Amazon explore session – Find a time that works with your schedule—and the time change (if applicable)—and reserve your spot. If you need to cancel or reschedule, be sure to do so at least 24 hours prior to your event.
- Arrive on time – Remember, you and your guide are live. So, don’t forget to be courteous and arrive on time in order to take full advantage of the allotted time. Join via your computer or laptop. Amazon Explore is not currently available on mobile devices.
- Immerse yourself and enjoy – Come prepared with questions and topics of interest so that your guide can tailor the experience to your liking. As with any sort of international trip, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the local area before “arriving” so that you’re privy to any unexpected cultural norms or clashes.
How Much Does Amazon Explore Cost?
You won’t need to pay for airfare, of course, but most Amazon Explore experiences come at a cost. Just as you would expect to pay an entry fee for a museum in France or for a guided scuba diving session in Hawaii, you’ll also need to plan to pay for virtual events on this platform.
Most sessions last around 30 minutes to an hour and range in cost from under $25 to over $75. A visit to a ceramics shop in Italy, for example, may only cost around $10 whereas an exploration of the ancient ruins of Pompeii could cost around $85. Luckily, Amazon Explore makes it easy to filter your search by things like price, duration, average rating, and location.
Top-Rated Travel Destinations with Amazon Explore
With so many destinations, it can be hard to know where to start. If you’re in need of some travel inspiration, take a look at these top-rated Amazon Explore experiences that travelers have been raving about.
- Interact with the local fauna in Costa at the Toucan Rescue Ranch
- $27.30 for a 50-minute session
- Enchanting Rialto—a walk through Venice’s street markets
- $76 for a 60-minute session
- Learn Japanese through live music
- $36 dollars for a 30-minute session
- Take a ride through the Hong Kong harbor on a traditional sampan
- $62 for a 50-minute session
Everything Else you Should Know About Amazon Explore
Before you take off on your next globetrotting adventure, read through these last few details to be sure your experience is a hit.
With Amazon Explore:
- Your session is one-on-one. You won’t have to share the time with big groups, so you’ll have your guide’s undivided attention.
- You can look for the camera icon at the bottom of your screen. Just like you do when you’re on vacation, take a picture and store it later to revisit your exciting travel memories.
- Make sure you are equipped with a working microphone. Consider doing a quick audio test before your session so you can be sure your host will hear you loudly and clearly.
- Check your internet speed before you sign on to your event. In order to avoid any sort of bothersome lags, make sure you’ve got a connection speed of 5mbps or higher.
- Your hosts are highly knowledgeable and English-speaking. So, you won’t have to worry about anything getting lost in translation.
- The events are never pre-recorded. Whenever you book a session, you’ll always be able to connect with a guide who is live with you on the other end of the call.
- You can give an experience as a gift. If you know someone who would love a virtual exchange of culture, consider purchasing an Amazon Explore gift card so that your globetrotting friend or family member can use it however they please.
How to Use Amazon Explore for Your Business
If you’d like to reverse the roles, consider using Amazon Explore as a unique way of approaching your business goals. Instead of being the traveler, establish yourself as a host in order to reach your audience in new ways and get your products and services in front of new faces.
Here’s a quick look at how your shop, service, or skill can benefit from using Amazon Explore:
- Expand your reach – If visibility is your primary focus, take your small shop out of your local neighborhood and across the country. You’ll be able to reach higher levels of brand recognition and increase your opportunities of making conversions.
- Build relationships that last – By connecting with your audience one-on-one, you’re able to address their concerns and go into detail about the value your products or services can provide.
- Enjoy a flexible schedule – Whether you’re a teacher, artisan, or service provider, with Amazon Explore you can set your own schedule to best suit your lifestyle and daily routine.
Explore New Marketing Strategies with Power Digital
For an expert-led experience that walks you through the complex world of marketing strategy, choose Power Digital as your trusted guide. Whether you’re curious about incorporating Amazon Explore into your business plan or running a targeted campaign using one of the Amazon Advertising tools, we can help you to define your goals and design a course of action that allows you to reach them.
Our services aren’t just limited to Amazon Marketing, however. We also specialize in:
- Content Marketing
- Influencer Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Web Development
Join clients like Dropbox, Zola, Casper, and Daily Harvest who have trusted our expertise to help them evolve and grow into their full potential. See how we can shape your professional journey today.
For more on other available Amazon features, check out our resources answering: Is Amazon FBA worth it? What is Amazon Marketing Cloud? What is AWS? Or maybe you’re wondering how to get a UPC code for Amazon? Our digital marketing experts have you covered at Power Digital Marketing.
- Business Insider. Amazon Explore Virtual Travel Review. https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-explore-virtual-travel-review
- The Washington Post. You can now add virtual travel to your Amazon shopping cart. https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/09/30/amazon-explore-virtual-tours/