Allyship + Anti-Racism Resource Kit: 70 Ways You Can Help NOW
This is a resource intended for all to expand on our understanding of anti-racism. See 70 ways you can help with the fight now.
We stand in solidarity with the fight against systemic racism, white supremacy, and a history of oppression against the Black community. This is a resource intended for all to expand on our understanding of anti-racism. Now is the time to raise our voices up and to open ourselves and our cohorts to having tough, but constructive, conversations.
In that same breath, there is no time like NOW to self-educate and to take action so that we can help contribute to the movement rather than simply remembering this as a moment in time. We encourage you to engage and be part of the change. Please feel welcome to share this on social media and with your friends, family, etc.
It’s ok to be uncomfortable. It’s ok to not be ok. Let’s all unite and overcome this together to create a M O V E M E N T.
If you want to Read:
- Medium (Shenequa Golding) – Maintaining professionalism in the age of Black Death is…. A Lot.
- Why People of Color Need Spaces Without White People – Kelsey Blackwell
- Medium (Barack Obama) – How to make this moment the turning point for real change
- NY Times – My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant
- Refinery29 – Your Black Colleagues May Look Like They’re Okay — Chances Are They’re Not
- Black Girl In Maine – We White Liberals Need to Face Our Internalized Racism
- So You Want To Talk About Race – Ijeoma Oluo
- White Fragility – Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism – Robin Diangelo
- The New Jim Crow – Mass Incarceration in The Age of Colorblindness – Michelle Alexander
- Me and White Supremacy – Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor – Layla Saad
If you want to Donate:
- ACLU: Protecting free speech and right to protest. Defending reproductive freedom. Fighting anti-LGBTQ discrimination. Safeguarding the rights of refugees and immigrants. Power Digital will be donating to this cause.
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fund: Organized by Philonise Floyd, George’s brother. This fund is established to cover funeral and burial expenses, mental and grief counseling, lodging and travel for all court proceedings, and to assist our family in the days to come as we continue to seek justice for George. A portion of these funds will also go to the Estate of George Floyd for the benefit and care of his children and their educational fund.
- Black Visions Collective: A black, trans, and queer-led organization that is committed to the dismantling systems of oppression & violence, & shifting the public narrative to create transformative long term change.
- Campaign Zero: Online platform & organization that utilizes research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America.
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund: Through litigation, advocacy and public education, LDF seeks structural changes to expand democracy, eliminate disparities and achieve racial justice in a society that fulfills the promise of equality for all Americans. Donations to this legal organization go toward helping win landmark legal battles, protect voters across the nation and advance the cause of racial justice, equality and an inclusive society
- Black Lives Matter: Mission statement of bringing justice, freedom, and healing to black people across the globe.
- Donation to Ahmaud’s Family: Fundraiser designed to assist Ahmaud’s mother and her immediate family with financial support in their struggle for justice for the murder of Ahmaud Marquez Arbery.
- Reclaim the Block: Reclaim the Block organizes the Minneapolis community and city council members to move money from the police department into other areas of the city’s budget that truly promote community health and safety.
- Equal Justice Initiative: Support EJI’s efforts to combat racial injustice in the US. Your contribution is critical to our efforts to end mass incarceration and excessive punishment in the US, challenge racial and economic injustice and protect the basic human rights for the most vulnerable people in American society
- Power Digital: Antonio Johnson will be collecting donations on behalf of Power Digital and will be donating to the a split of orgs that fight against racism and police brutality: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ab_mn. If you want to donate, send a Venmo to @AntonioJohnson and leave a very clear note that this is for the Power Digital donation.
- BONUS: If cash is tight, but you still want to donate, Sephora.com is allowing you to use your POINTS to transfer as a CASH donation directly to National Black Justice Coalition. When you go to sephora > beauty insider, its under the “rewards bazaar”. They have 500, 1000, and 1500 point increments that equal $10, $20, and $30.
If you want to Watch:
- Selma – available to rent
- 13th – Netflix
- When They See Us – Netflix
- Black-ish – Hulu
- Dear White People – Hulu
- Fruitvale Station – Available to rent
- If Beale Street Could Talk – Hulu
- Insecure – HBO
- Roots – Amazon Prime
- The Central Park Five – Amazon
- 12 Years a Slave – Available to rent
If you want to YouTube:
- How Redlining Shaped Black America As We Know It | Unpack That
- The Disturbing History of the Suburbs | Adam Ruins Everything
- 5 Tips For Being An Ally
- Stop Being an Ally
- Kaila Story The Difference Between an Ally and an Accomplice
- Mass Incarceration, Visualized
- The future of race in America: Michelle Alexander at TEDxColumbus
- Direct, structural, and cultural violence
- How to Talk to Kids About Race
- Breaking Generational Cycles of Trauma | Brandy Wells
- Michelle Nicole (@passionandpower on instagram) The Sociology of ‘No Justice, No Peace’
- Ted Talk (Luvvie Ajayi) – Get Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable
If you want to Listen:
- About Race
- Change Catalyst – Leading with Empathy and Allyship Series
- Crooked Media – Pod Save the People
- Dear White Women
- Intersectionality Matters!
- The Leadership Conference on Civil & Human Rights – Pod for the Cause
- Momentum: A Race Forward
- New York Times – 1619
- NPR – Code Switch
- Seeing White
If you want to Heal:
- POC Centric: @thenapministry, @diveinwell, @inclusivetherapists, @healhaus, @meta.den, and @minkabrooklyn offer therapy, virtual classes, and workshops in meditation, movement, breathwork, reiki, and self-development.
- For all: @frequencymind incorporates sound therapy in guided breathwork, meditation, and human connection.
If you want to Petition:
- Justice for George Floyd @ Change.org
- Colors of Change #JusticeForFloyd
- Justice for Breonna Taylor @ Change.org
- Justice for Ahmaud Arbery @ Change.org
- Justice for Tony McDade @ Change.org
- Hands Up Act @ Change.org
- Raise The Degree @ Change.org
If you want to Take Action:
- REGISTER TO VOTE @ https://vote.gov/
- Screenshot, share, and repost resources to educate those in your circle.
- Educate yourself and read up on what it means to be actively anti-racist.
- Continue to donate and support initiatives you care about if you have the means.
- Text FLOYD to 55156 to demand all four officers involved with Floyd’s death be charged and arrested.
- Text JUSTICE to 66-8336
- Contact your congresspeople and ask them to support Reps Pressley and Omar’s resolution condemning police brutality.
- Check-in on your black friends, family, partners, and colleagues.
- Spread love and positivity! The movement starts and sustains with each and every one of us.